Monday, March 10, 2008

Your Fired!

During the course of a career in a management position you will have to terminate an employee for any reason. This may be for reasons from under performing to committing an action that constitutes immediate termination.


I actually witnessed someone being fired a few weeks ago. This individual had a history of missed shifts and lateness and the store manager finally decided to terminate his employment with the company. Because this individual arrived early at work (for once) the manager on duty came out to the parking lot and lit up a cigarette and joined in the conversation that was happening. The manager then casually said, "you won't be needing your uniform tonight." and told him that the store manager had enough. I though the fact that the manager didn't fire this individual in front of all the other employees was good. But the terminating process in this company is far from ideal.


My personal story of how I was demoted (not exactly termination) was that I was taken off the management schedule without warning or explaination. I had to talk to the store manager who told me it was the supervisor above her that had made this, what I would call, quick decision. Apparently I didn't work enough hours to be dedicated enough to the position and they thought my other (better) job would interfere with my work at this company. I felt that it was very unprofessional and there was a million better ways to do that.


Anyway, in a REAL company terminations involve sitting down the terminated employee and explaining the situation. Then walk them to their locker/office/station to gather their personal belongings and escort them to their car to leave.


Termination is necessary. Just don't do it like Donald Trump on the Apprentice and say "You're Fired!"

No comments: